Monday, March 14, 2011

Eating Healthy on Vacation...

Is impossible to do. Buy why? I recently came home from a trip to Disneyland. It was hard to eat well while traveling, but there are some things that can be done to minimize the damage.

I was thinking about it, and I don't think that most of us plan our vacations around food. We plan it around activities and sights that we are wanting to see. So why is it so hard to stay on track? Part of the reason is that we're often eating on the road, which always makes it more difficult to eat healthy. At that point I think a lot of us give up and just use vacation as a free pass to eat whatever we want whenever we want, even if we're not really enjoying it. Here are some of my ideas to try to minimize the impact of travel on weight loss:

1. Keep busy. While at Disneyland we walked for probably hours each day. This helps burn off the extra calories.
2. Only eat while sitting down at planned meals. If you're busy with fun vacation activities, it's easier to not snack. Make a conscious effort to not eat mindlessly.
3. Now, this may not be Dr. approved, so take it with a grain of salt. But sometimes skipping meals can help offset the extra calories consumed. For example, on Friday we stopped at McDonalds. I was hungry, it was a planned meal, and I wanted a treat. I probably ate 1000 calories in that one meal. But because that and breakfast was all I ate that day, the damage was minimized.

These are some things that helped me. What are some of your tips for not gaining weight on vacation?

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! I would add:

    *pack healthy snacks so you don't get overly hungry (granola bars, cut veggies, fruit) - sorry, i realize this goes against your "only eat at meals rule" -haha. But that wouldn't work for me. This would help me.

    *look for unique exercise opportunities where you're vacationing (hikes, walks, swimming, etc). Doing something different will make it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete